Thursday, February 28, 2008

Journey to the Center of the Earth! Or, why {4 8 15 16 23 42} could save your life.

I feel like I need a school bus (of the magical variety) and a lizard. So I checked into the idea of magnetic "hot spots" on the earth, and found some interesting stuff. While I don't have anything specific right now about the actual places that may be considered hot, I will take your mind on a fantastic voyage to the cause of our magnetism.

Our planet's wonderful magnetic field (which protects us from solar death rays and cosmic radiation) is generated in the earth's iron core by something called the dynamo effect. Basically, the swirling, boiling seas of liquid magggggma iron in the center of the earth can create a giant magnetic field... sort of like an electro-magnet, where the magnet produces its own power that makes it a magnet which produces power. Yeah, it's confusing alright, even the author of that article doesn't go into it that much!

Anyway, those seas of iron are just like our big blue oceans up top. They even get molten iron hurricanes (minus the wind and water, and levees of course) that can create their own little magnetic fields. Much like sunspots, these can create "anomalies." But as long as you press the button every 108 minutes, you'll be fine. Too bad the magnetic hot spots would move around quite a bit.

[Pardon me if I misstated the scientific stuff, I'm doing my best! For the best info, if you can understand it, check out my links above.]

No comments: