Friday, February 29, 2008

Crazy lobsters!

This may be one of the weirdest things I've ever written about [not true if you've read previous posts], but apparently lobsters are magnetic. Ok, that's not totally accurate, but they do use something called, "magnetic map sense." This all comes from a University of North Carolina study into the blah blah blah of lobster yadda yadda yadda. At least that's what it sounded like whilst I was reading said article.

From what I did gather, lobsters have a 6th magnetic sense that allows them to navigate through treacherous coral reefs in the dark of night. I too, have a magnetic sense that allows me to navigate my knees, shins, and toes into metal objects in the dark of night, but that is another topic altogether. In the experiment, the UNC team was able to control the direction of lobsters by manipulating magnetic fields in the area.

So in addition to magnet's ability to heal us, magnets are fascinatingly used by giant underwater bugs to "see."

No comments: